Thursday, February 9, 2012

Slow Growing???

Hen and Chicks





Euphorbia Horrida V Nova
aka
African Milk Barrel





My hens decided to produce chicks.  I was a little surprised since it is the middle of winter.  What was more surprising to see was that my African Milk Barrel decided to bloom.  I thought winter was a resting period for cacti and succulents. 

I didn't even know if I was taking good care of my African Milk Barrel.  Since it was given to me, it hasn't produced more thorns.  It has grown taller but I was still a little leery of the care I was giving.  It is really hard not to water a plant for three months, but after a couple cacti dying in my possession I learned very quickly not to over water.  Over watering is the number one killer of cacti.  I had a cactus that looked fine and then one day it collapsed because it had rotted from over watering.  So seeing the blooms puts a smile on my face and lets me know that I am doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment