Monday, August 29, 2011

Cucumber Time!


 The best cucumbers in the world are the ones grown in your own backyard or in my case on my balcony.  


My cucumber and redskin pepper plants!


One of my favorite daily visitors!




Hang on Snoopy, Snoopy hang on



So far things are a little slow going on my balcony due to the extreme heat this summer.  I finally was able to pick five cucumbers off my plant.  There are about a dozen still growing.  I picked  four more peppers off my pepper plant.  I had to move my pepper plant to my balcony because the sun was burning my peppers.  I had it beside my apartment building and it was in the sun from sunup to sundown.  I moved it to my balcony, which limited it to the afternoon/evening sun and the new peppers didn't get burned.  One of the benefits of container gardening is that you can move your plants.  I witnessed a bee pollinating my cucumber plant.  It fascinated me because the bee went to every single blossom.  There are probably at least 50 blossoms on my plant. The last pictures is of a tendril from my cucumber plant that somehow found a spider web to wrap itself around.  Take a closer look and you can just barely see the web.  If you click on the picture, it should enlarge it and it gives you a closer look.  It starts at the tip of the leaf at the bottom of the picture and goes straight up to the roof. Nature simply amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment